Friend of the Court FAQ

You may access information about your case by:
  • Calling the FOC Call Center at (844) 785-7593 or (833) 936-2889 for TYY services
  • Calling the Michigan State Disbursement Unit (MiSDU) at (877) 543-2660 for payment information only
  • Signing up for MiChildSupport online at www.michigan.gov/michildsupport to access case information.
  • Scheduling a virtual appointment with a Friend of the Court customer service representative online at https://thirdjudicialcircuitofmichigan.setmore.com/ . Virtual Appointments are available on Wednesdays and Fridays. You must have an updated internet browser to connect to this meeting virtually. Google Chrome and Microsoft Edge are preferred.
  • Going to the Friend of the Court Customer Service lobby at the Penobscot Building. Walk-in customer service is available on Mondays, Tuesdays and Thursdays ONLY, 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. (you must be in line by 4:15 p.m.). Masks are recommended and will be provided upon request.
  • Attorneys may leave a voicemail at (313) 224-5295 or email at focattorneyline@3rdcc.org
  • Click here for all customer service options available.
You may make child support payments:
  • In person Monday through Friday 8:30 a.m. – 4:00 p.m. (must be in line by 3:45 p.m.) at the Penobscot Building, 1st Floor, 645 Griswold, Detroit, MI 48226. Must bring your case number to make a payment.
  • Mail to the MiSDU, P.O. Box 30351, Lansing, MI 48909-7851
  • Online at www.misdu.com or www.allpaid.com  PLC Code (8463)
  • Phone at (888) 604-7888
  • Use PayNearMe
  • Use MoneyGram
Civil Child Support Bench Warrants

Walk-in resolution of Friend of the Court civil child support bench warrants in Courtroom 1907 of the Coleman A. Young Municipal Center on Monday, Wednesday, Thursday and Friday has been temporarily canceled. You may take care of your civil child support bench warrant by paying the full bond amount at a law enforcement agency. You may also attempt to resolve your bench warrant by calling the Wayne County Sheriff's Department at (313) 224-4066. If you pay the bond, you must still call the Wayne County Sheriff's Department at (313) 224-4066 to discuss how the bond will be applied to your support account. If you do not contact the Wayne County Sheriff's Department within 15 days of paying the bond, the bond will be applied to your support account.

Changing the Child Support Amount

Child support may be changed by filing a Motion to Change Child Support (FOC Form 4035). Michigan Compiled Law § 552.603 allows the Court to change support back to the date a motion is filed and served on the other party. Therefore, filing your motion as soon as possible will mean that any change in your child support may start earlier.

You may also request a Support Review through the Friend of the Court. This written request may be mailed to P.O. Box 829, Detroit, MI 48231. The start date on this type of review would begin the 1st day of the month following the date a Notice of Support Review has been mailed to both parties. The Friend of the Court mails out the Notice of Support Review once it has worked your request. Please understand these review requests may take time to process due to the availability of staff and the volume of cases received for review during this time.

How to File a Motion

The Third Circuit Court location at the Coleman A. Young Municipal Center is open to the public for in person filing. Motions may be filed with the County Clerk’s office by:

  • Online via the new electronic Domestic Case Filings System at www.http://3rdcc.org/agency-resources
  • Filing in person in Room 200A of the Coleman A. Young Municipal Center, located at Two Woodward Avenue, Detroit, MI 48226 Mondays and Thursdays ONLY 8:00 AM – 12:00 PM and 1:00 – 4:00 PM (must be in line by 3:30 pm).
  • Mail to Wayne County Clerk, Room 201, Coleman A. Young Municipal Center, Two Woodward Avenue, Detroit, MI 48226

Fees must be paid or waived before filing. Click here for more information on instructions for filing. Please follow all directions on the website or else your filing may be rejected.

Access to Files and/or Court Orders

If you need a copy of a court order, submit the FOC Access to Records request (FOC Form 4022) and we will process your request. Due to delays in processing request for records, you may file a motion to modify an order without attaching the current order if it is unavailable during this time.


Legal Resources

Below are some resources available for legal help with your filings. The Third Circuit Court cannot guarantee whether all of these resources are in full operation during this time.

Detroit Legal Services Virtual Clinic :
Click here to schedule a virtual legal consultation with a member of the Detroit Bar Association!  The volunteer attorneys are available to assist with a variety of legal issues.

Lakeshore Legal Aid
(888) 783-8190

William Booth Legal Aid Clinic
(313) 361-6340

Michigan Legal Help

Printable Version